What essential oils are:
This is one of the most common questions I get, and with good reason. There are all kinds of “oils” out there these days! Let’s break it down simply.
- Essential oils are the oil-based liquids distilled or cold-pressed from the seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers, and other parts of plants. Essential oils retain the “essence” or scent of the plant, and more importantly, the healing properties they provide to the plant
- They are extremely potent and powerful. A single drop of essential oil can equal multiple teaspoons of the dried herb. They are also chemically complex. This means that many different compounds make up a single essential oil, which them extremely versatile
- Essential oils can provide physical, mental, and emotional benefits. They enter the bloodstream quickly and can affect your entire body within a short amount of time.
Essential oils are a natural, holistic tool that empower you to be your own best advocate!
How to use them:
Our sense of smell is a powerful tool. Essential oils are quickly absorbed when we smell them, and directly affect the limbic system, the part of the brain that supports a variety of functions including smell, emotions, behavior, and memory. You can:
- Diffuse your oils
- Place a few drops in the palm of your hands, cup and inhale
- Add a few drops to your pillow
- Infuse leather or lava stone jewelry with the scent you love
Essential oils are easily absorbed through the skin. You can apply them directly to:
- Pulse Points
- Forehead and temples
- Chest and abdomen
- Arms, legs, bottom of feet
- Specific areas of pain or skin concerns
When you take essential oils internally they directly enter the blood stream via the gut, where they are transported throughout the rest of the body. You can:
- Use oils in recipes for cooking or baking
- Add essential oils to water, smoothies, milk, tea, or other drinks
- Take essential oils internally in a veggie capsule